التوحيد at-Tawhid

Author Topic: THE SIGNS OF AHL'US SUNNAH  (Read 679 times)

Fahm'us Salaf

• Administrator
  • أنصار المل الحنيفية وحماة الشرع المحمدية
THE SIGNS OF AHL'US SUNNAH
« on: 21.01.2017, 03:19:24 PM »
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
The Signs of Ahlus Sunnah

Shaykh'ul Islam Abu Uthman as-Sabuni (373H-449H), Aqidat'us Salaf wa Ashab'ul Hadith

One of the signs of Ahlus Sunnah is their love for the A'immah and Ulama (the scholars) of the Sunnah, its friends and allies. They show enmity to Aimmatul Bidah (the leaders of Bid'ah), who are calling to Naar (fire; Hell-fire) and leading its followers to the place of failure.

Indeed Allah Subhanahu, has adorned the hearts of Ahlus Sunnah and enlightened them by instilling a love for the scholars as Fadilah (a favour) and Minnah (blessings) from Him Jalla Jalaluhu.

Hakim Abu Abdullaah al-Hafidh, mayAllah house him and us in Paradise together, informed me from Muhammad ibn Ibrahim ibnul Fadl al-Muzakki, who related from Ahmad ibn Salamah, who related that Abu Rajaa Qutaybah ibn Sa'id read to us from his book al-Iman. (It was written at the end of the book):

"If you observe a man loving Sufyan at-Thawri (d.161), Malik ibn Anas (d.179), al-Awza'i (d.157), Shu'bah (d.160), (Abdullah) Ibnul Mubaarak (d.181), Abul Ahwas (d.179), Sharik (d.l77), Waki (d.197), Yahya ibn Sa'id (d.145) and Abdur Rahman ibn Mahdi (d.198) then know that he is from Ahlus Sunnah."

Ahmad ibn Salamah, (rahimahullah) said:

"With my own writing I added to the list: Yahya ibn Yahya (d.226), Ahmad ibn Hanbal (d.241), and Ishaq ibn Raahawayh (d.238). When we had completed this list, the People of Nisabur looked at us and they said that those people dislike Yahya ibn Yahya. So we said:

O Abu Rajaa! What about Yahya ibn Yahya? He replied:

A righteous man and an Imam of the Muslims. Ishaq ibn Raahawayh is an Imam and Ahmad ibn Hanbal is the greatest of those I have named.

I also attach to this list the following which Qutaybah (rahimahullah) has mentioned. For whoever loves them is a companion of the Sunnah. They are the scholars of Hadith who are imitated and with their guidance people are rightly guided. From their group and party are others who are counted amongst them and those whose narrations are followed. You will find another group, more than what has just been mentioned. They are:

Muhammad ibn Idris ash-Shafi'i (d.204) and Sa'id ibn Jubayr (d.95), Zuhri (d.124), ash-Sha'bi (d.103) and at-Taymi (d.143). Those after them are:

Layth ibn Sa'd al-Misri (d.175), al-Awza'i (d.187), ath-Thawri (d.161), Sufyan ibn Uyaynah (d.198), Hammad ibn Salamah (d.167), Hammad ibn Zayd (d.179), Yunus ibn Ubayd (d.139), Ayyub as-Sakhtiyani (d.131), Ibn Awn (d.180) and those after them like:

Yazid ibn Harun al-Wasiti (d.206), Abdur Razzaq ibn Hammaam as-San'ani (d.211), Jarir ibn Abdul Hamid ad-Dubi (d.188) and those after them like:

Muhammad ibn Yahya adh-Dhuli (d.258), Muhammad ibn Isma'il Bukhari (d.256), Muslim ibnul Hajjaaj al-Qushayri (d.261), Abu Dawud as-Sijjistani (d.275), Abu Zur'ah ar-Razi (d.264), Abu Hatim ar-Razi (d.277), Ibn Abi Hatim (d.328), Muhammad ibn Muslim ibn Warah (d.270), Muhammad ibn Aslam at-Tusi (d.242), Abu Sa'id Uthman ibn Sa'id ad-Darimi (d.280), Muhammad ibn Ishaq ibn Khuzaymah (d.311) who was called the Imam of the of the scholars. In my lifetime he is indeed the Imam of the scholars in his era and time. Abu Ya'qub Ishaq ibn Isma'il al-Busti (d.303) and al-Hasan ibn Sufyan an-Nasawi (d.303).

My forefathers from Abu Sa'id Yahya ibn Mansur az-Zahid al-Harwi (d.292), Adi ibn Hamdawayh as-Sabuni and his two sons, the two swords of the Sunnah Abu Abdullah as-Sabuni and Abu Abdur Rahman as-Sabuni and many other A'immah who adhered to the Sunnah, supporting it, calling to it and following it.

The total sum of what has been established in this book is Itiqaad (the Creed) of all of them. None of them opposed each other in this. On the contrary they were all united upon it and there is nothing established from any of them that they approved of anything which opposed it.

They were agreed upon subduing Ahlul Bid'ah by debasing them, degrading them, keeping them afar, being distant from them, never accompanying them or living with them, and upon seeking a nearness to Allah, Azza wa Jall by avoiding and abandoning them.

By the blessings of Allah Azza wa Jall, I am following their Athar (narrations) seeking enlightenment by their Nur (lights).

I advise my brothers and Companions that they do not be far from their rays and do not follow anything other than their sayings. Do not get involvedin these newly invented matters from the Bid'ah which have spread between the Muslims and all other evil matters which have appeared. If one of these innovations appeared on the tongues of one of them in the time of those A'immah, they would have abandoned them, accused them of heresy and lies and developed hatred for them.

Do not be misled my brothers, may Allah preserve you, by the numbers of Ahlul Bid'ah, their size and the number of their groups. Indeed the large groups of falsehood and a few in number from the people of the truth is one of the signs of Saat (Hour i.e., the Day of Judgement), as Rasulullah (sallallahu alahi wa sallam), said:

إن من علامات الساعة واقترابها أن يقل العلم ويكثر الجحل
"Indeed one of the signs if the last hour coming closer, is the diminishing if knowledge and the spreading of ignorance."1

Ilm (knowledge) is Sunnah and Jahl (ignorance) is Bid'ah.

He (sallallahu alahi wa sallam) said:

إِنَّ الإِيمَانَ لَيَأْرِزُ إِلَى الْمَدِينَةِ كَمَا تَأْرِزُ الْحَيَّةُ إِلَى جُحْرِهَا
"Indeed, Iman will be driven back into al-Madinah just as a snake returns to itis hole."2

He (sallallahu alahi wa sallam) said:

لاَ تَقُومُ السَّاعَةُ حَتَّى لاَ يُقَالَ فِي الأَرْضِ اللَّهُ اللَّهُ
"The last hour will not arrive until there remains no one on the earth saying, Allah."3

One who adheres to the Sunnah of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) today, acting on it,, being firm on it and calling to it, his reward would be more than the one who did this in the beginning of Islam, as Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said:

له أجر خمسين، فقيل خمسين منهم؟ قل بل منهم
"He will have the reward of fifty. They (i.e., the Companions) asked:

Fifty of them? He (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) replied:

Rather of you."

He (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) stated that about one who acts according to the Sunnah when the Ummah gets corrupted.

I found in a book written by my grandfather, Abu Abdullah Muhammad ibn Adi ibn Hamadayh as-Sabuni (rahimahullah); it said he heard from Abul Abbass al-Hasan ibn Sufyan an-Nasawi, who related from Abbaas ibn Sabih, who related from Abdul Jabbaar ibn Tahir, who related from Ma'mar ibn Raashid, who related from Ibn Shihaab Zuhri, who said:

تعليم سنة أفضل من عبادة مائتي سنة
"Studying of the Sunnah is better than performing worship for two hundred years."

Abu Bakr Muhammad ibn Abdullah ibn Muhammad ibn Zakariyyah ash-Shaybani informed me from Abul Abbaas Muhammad ibn Abdur Rahman ad-Daghuli, who heard from Muhammad ibn Haatim al-Mudhfari, who heard from Amr ibn Muhammad who said: Abu Mu'awiyyah ad-Darir related a story to Haarun ar-Rashid, wherein he mentioned the Hadith of Abu Hurayrah (radiyallahu anh): (...) Adam (alayhi salam) and Musa (alayhi salam) disputed.5 So Ali ibn Ja'far said:

How is it that they disputed?! What was between them? Harun jumped up and said:

''A Hadith is narrated to you from Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam), and you turn away and ask how?"

He kept on saying that until his anger abated.6

This is the way a person must glorify Akhbaar (the narrations) of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) accepting them with submission, approval and belief in it. Anyone who treads a path other than the one Harun ar-Rashid trod should be opposed strongly. As Sahih (an authentic) Hadith which one hears and questions it by saying "how" in a rejective manner, is distancing oneself from the Hadith and not accepting it. It is Waajib (an obligation) to accept all that is reported from Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam).

I hope that Allah Subhanahu, has included us amongst those who listen to advice and follow it's best/uppermost part and adhere to the religion during the period of their life in this world with the Qur'an and Sunnah. I hope that He keeps us away from our Hawa (misguided whims), meagre opinions and from a humiliating calamity, by His Nimah (Blessings) and Bounties.

Was sallallaahu ala sayyidina Muhammad wa ala Aalihi was sahbihi wa sallam.

Footnotes:

1- It is related from Anas (radiyallahu anh) from Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam):

مِنْ أَشْرَاطِ السَّاعَةِ أَنْ يَظْهَرَ الْجَهْلُ، وَيَقِلَّ الْعِلْمُ
"From among the portents of the our are the following: General ignorance (in religious affairs) will prevail, (religious) knowledge will decrease." (Bukhari, Hadith no: 81, Hadith no: 5577, Hadith no: 6808; Muslim, Hadith no: 2671; Tirmidhi, Hadith no: 2314; Ibn Maajah, Hadith no: 4045.

2- Bukhari, Hadith no: 1876; Muslim, Hadith no: 147; Ibn Maajah, Hadith no: 3111.

3- Muslim, Hadith no: 148; Tirmidhi, Hadith no: 2317.

4- Abu Dawud, Hadith no: 4341; Tirmidhi, Hadith no: 3058; lbn Maajah, Hadith no: 4015; Tabarani, al-Kabir, 17/289.

5- Tirrnidhi, Hadith no: 2134; Ahmad, Musnad, 2/398; Ibn Abi Asim, Hadith no: 140.

6- Hatib, Tarikh Baghdad, 5/243.

Note: This does not include, the one who asks "how" in order to understand something which is not clear to him, but believing that there is no contradictionor error in that which is authentically reported from the Messenger (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam).
Whosoever desires الْعِزَّةَ al-Izzah (honour, power and glory) then to Allah belong all الْعِزَّةَ al-Izzah [and one can get honour, power and glory only by obeying and worshiping Allah (Alone)]. To Him ascend (all) الْكَلِمُ الطَّيِّبُ al-Kalim al-Tayyib (the goodly words), and الْعَمَلُ الصَّالِحُ al-Amal al-Saalih (the righteous deeds) exalt it (the goodly words i.e., the goodly words are not accepted by Allah unless and until they are followed by good deeds). (Fatir 35/10)